cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Generalizing the flow
Date Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:23:57 GMT

Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Christopher Oliver wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip/>

>> I don't know, Sylvain. The Sun JVM is also a Java interpreter and so
>> is for that matter ATCT itself.  I don't see what's so clumsy about
>> "JavaInterpreter".
>>
>> Also it looks to me that Alex Krut  is referring to a Java method in
>> <map:call function="run"> not a class. "Method" is another name for a
>> function, so I really don't see your point.
>

> My mistake, I was too quick when reading the code. You're right, it's
> actually a method that is called by reflection. But that doen't change
> my opinion : we don't call a function nor an operation : we start a flow
> instance (i.e. a continuation tree).

yes.
so thanking Christopher for his persistence we might end up at a
slightly modified naming proposal?

<map:call function="..">
actually is <map:initiate controller="..">

and
<map:call continuation=".."> is maybe more of
<map:continue state="..">

have to think some more (cause I'm hope for a wording that would
fit in the stateless gateways/controllers as well...)

> Sylvain (going to bed)

sweet dreams,

to you too Christopher, thx for investigating some more
(mentioned in another reply in this thread) into my possible
alternative FlowEngine implementation and accompaning example
(try to get by at the event thing for now)

snipping in from that other mail:

>> after the above you might see that it in fact makes equal sense as 'calling' a 'continuation'
>>

> No, it does not. You see, a Continuation _really_ _is_ a function
 > (in Scheme and in Rhino and in other languages that support
 > continuations). And you call them like any another function:
>
>  var k = new Continuation();
>  print(k instanceof Function)  // prints true
>  k();

thx for sharing this detail, had no idea
(and makes sense all the way)

but maybe my other mail did a better job at showing what we realy
think: 'FlowEngine' is a layer in between:

Sitemap -> FlowEngine -> Interpreter

as such, from the sitemap viewpoint it doesn't see functions nor
continuations, it just
1/ sees uri's mapping to some flowengine-impl that can
instantiate application flows that can 'handle' the uri

2/ sees uri's mapping to temporary resources and knows about a
store that can find back the instance of FlowStateController to
'handle' that uri

from that angle of view the question is not if Continuation is an
instance of Function (that is great stuff inside the Interpreter)

the question is can there be a FlowStateController that can be
fulfilled by WebContinuationController (the one calling the
continuation-function) and InteractionInstance (my example)

(feeling we are getting rid of the smoke on both sides?)

regards,

-marc= (enjoying fireworks from his home-office-window as we
speak, last shot means the party and the noise is over and I can
go to sleep as well :-))

PS: probably will not be able to get back to you on this before
monday...