cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Generalizing the flow
Date Sat, 05 Jul 2003 20:36:35 GMT
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Names are one of the most important things in design, since it's
>> first through the names that a user goes into a set of classes. Bad
>> names imply wrong understanding. Abstractions named after a
>> particular implementation make other implementations look clumsy,
>> since they don't fit into the name, even if they fit into the real
>> underlying concept.
>

> Fine. Would you mind demonstrating at least one alternative
> implementation of "FlowEngine" and "FlowController"  so that the rest
> of us can make a technical assessement of how well it "fits" if you
> intend to make these name changes?

Let's simply consider the second implementation we have today : Alex
Krut's ATCT implementation [1]. Interestingly, it is continuation-based,
and so technically similar to the JavaScript implementation :
- the interpreter is not an interpreter : it runs compiled Java.
Wouldn't "ATCTFlowEngine" have been better than the chosen
"JavaIntepreter" ? Clumsy name engendered by a wrong name for the
underlying concept.
- the flow functions aren't functions but classes. Interestingly, these
should extend "AbstractController". Alex didn't fell into the trap of
naming them "AbstractFunction".

And this leads to the following clumsy notation : <map:call
function="com.company.app.AppController"/>

So, even if this is a continuation-driven implementation, we have here
the demonstration that current names aren't the right ones...

> Even so, I really don't like your names. <map:call> made perfect sense
> when calling a continuation or function (since they are actually
> callable). I don't quite get what "calling" a "state" means.

Does this mean <map:call> is bad also ?

Sylvain

[1] http://www.freeroller.net/page/alexkrut/20030511