cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Generalizing the flow
Date Sat, 05 Jul 2003 19:25:54 GMT
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Christopher Oliver wrote:
>>
>> <snip/>
>>
>>> The problem I have with the proposed changes is that they obscure
>>> the design and use of flowscript (in order to support some other
>>> unspecified "flow engine", which to appears to not really have the
>>> same "interface" as the flowscript engine, IMO). To try to force
>>> them to use the same sitemap constructs seems unnecessary and
>>> counterproductive.
>>
>> First of all, the usual disclaimer, as the continuation-based flow
>> script has unfortunately become a kind of religion in Cocoon : I love
>> the flowscript and continuations, and I do use it for real-world
>> applications. But I'd also like other "religions" to be able to exist.
>>
>> Now back to the discussion...
>>
>> What is the more obscure :
>> - "Intepreter" or "FlowEngine" ? "Interpreter" is something that
>> interprets a language, and not something that drives the application
>> flow.
>

> Interpreters are things that have "functions" and "continuations".
> What are "FlowEngines" exactly?

A FlowEngine is something that's able to manage a flow that drives the
user through a series of pages. Is it mandatory to use an interpreter
for this ?

>> - "WebContinuation" or "FlowState" ? Continuations are a particular
>> implementation of a way to store the flow state.
>
>> - <map:call function> or <map:call flow> ? "function" is a related to

>> entry points in a functional language. How does this relate to
>> application flow ?
>

> With Flowscript, the application (page) flow _is_ actually defined by
> a functional programming language. That's the whole point. Your
> proposed name changes obscure this, IMO.

That's the point : "with FlowScript". Let's translate this sentence to
another domain : "with XSLT, document processing _is_ actually defined
by a stylesheet". Should we name transformers "stylesheets" ?

>> - <map:call continuation> or <map:call state> ? Again, "continuation"

>> is a particular implementation of the flow state.
>

> Well, right now it's the key concept that makes Flowscript possible. I
> think it's a little more than a mere implementation detail.

Of course, continuations make _FlowScript_ possible. But what is a
continuation ? Isn't it the implementation of the flow state in
FlowScript ? What about other implementations ?

>> I really think the proposed changes better represent the real
>> concepts behind the flow stuff rather than the current names which
>> are more related to the particular implementation we have today.
>>
>> What do others think ?
>>
> This discussion has clearly digressed into a subjective discussion
> about names. So -0 to any name changes.

Names are one of the most important things in design, since it's first
through the names that a user goes into a set of classes. Bad names
imply wrong understanding. Abstractions named after a particular
implementation make other implementations look clumsy, since they don't
fit into the name, even if they fit into the real underlying concept.

Answering to your other post also :

> Then I don't undertand what you're talking about. It is not possible
> to provide a "flow implementation" in the sense that I understand it
> in "plain old Java". But I'm also not interested in pursuing this
> discussion any further. There's a lot of work still to be done on the
> current flow implementation, and what time I have I plan to spend on
> that..

Ok. So let's make it simple : a page flow is about driving the user
through screens, each transition depending on the current state of the
application. There are other means than a continuation-enabled
interpreter to drive page flow and keep application state. The names
currently used to represent the flow-related concepts are too much
related to this particular implementation.

Sylvain

Sylvain