cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Oliver <res1c...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [RT] Generalizing the flow
Date Sat, 05 Jul 2003 17:07:51 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Christopher Oliver wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>> The problem I have with the proposed changes is that they obscure the
>> design and use of flowscript (in order to support some other
>> unspecified "flow engine", which to appears to not really have the
>> same "interface" as the flowscript engine, IMO). To try to force them
>> to use the same sitemap constructs seems unnecessary and
>> counterproductive.
>

> First of all, the usual disclaimer, as the continuation-based flow
> script has unfortunately become a kind of religion in Cocoon : I love
> the flowscript and continuations, and I do use it for real-world
> applications. But I'd also like other "religions" to be able to exist.
>
> Now back to the discussion...
>
> What is the more obscure :
> - "Intepreter" or "FlowEngine" ? "Interpreter" is something that
> interprets a language, and not something that drives the application
> flow.

Interpreters are things that have "functions" and "continuations". What
are "FlowEngines" exactly?

> - "WebContinuation" or "FlowState" ? Continuations are a particular
> implementation of a way to store the flow state.

> - <map:call function> or <map:call flow> ? "function" is a related to
> entry points in a functional language. How does this relate to
> application flow ?

With Flowscript, the application (page) flow _is_ actually defined by a
functional programming language. That's the whole point. Your proposed
name changes obscure this, IMO.

> - <map:call continuation> or <map:call state> ? Again, "continuation"
> is a particular implementation of the flow state.

Well, right now it's the key concept that makes Flowscript possible. I
think it's a little more than a mere implementation detail.

> I really think the proposed changes better represent the real concepts
> behind the flow stuff rather than the current names which are more
> related to the particular implementation we have today.
>
> What do others think ?

This discussion has clearly digressed into a subjective discussion about
names. So -0 to any name changes.