cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [Flow] Calling internal-only pipelines
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 20:58:11 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip/>

> In Cocoon 2.0, there was not so much difference between internal and
> external processing on the Processor interface. Things have changed in
> 2.1 due to changes in the cache system, which now require to build the
> pipeline to get its validity (Carsten, tell me if I'm wrong).
>
> So the current situation in the sitemap engine (inherited from the 2.0
> architecture), is that a call to process() is considered as external
> while a call to processInternal() is considered as... internal.
>
> Now we see that tying internal/external to the called method is not
> the way to go, since we the flow calls process(), and such calls
> should be considered as internal.
>
> So my suggestion is to strongly separate these two different notions.
> The results are that :
> - internal/external should be a property of the environment object :
> add a new Environment.isInternal() method.
> - Processor.processInternal() should be renamed to buildPipeline().
>
> This separation can then allow any kind of combination.
>
> What do you think ?

After some more thoughts, I think the best place for isInternal() isn't
Environment, but Request, because the Environment is hidden from normal
components, while the request is visible, and this information may be
needed for some components to use. For examples, some component add
headers to the response, which may not make sense for internal requests,
and could thus adapt their behaviour depending on the request type.

Also, we we always speak of "internal requests", and not of "internal
environment" !

I started diving in the code, but will be out of office tomorrow. Expect
this problem to be fixed by the end of this week.

Sylvain