cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <>
Subject Re: Hibernate vs. OJB
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:26:34 GMT
Leszek Gawron dijo:
> Has anyone got any experiences? I am a complete "persistence layer
> newbie", but I'd like to start a project using either Hibernate or OJB.
> After 15 minutes of googling I got:

I did the same as you some days ago. I also check the dates of the links
above. The docs are from the end of the last year. Since then, the OJB
wake up and now is a very dynamic community. I invite you to join the
community or check the mail archives.

On the other way OJB can sports JDO, Hibernate not. What is all about this

>From tutorial on developersworks of IBM:
JDO is a Sun specification that aims to provide Java programmers with a
much needed, lighweight view of OO persistent data. JDO frees developers
to interact with objects in a natural way, providing an alternative to
JDBC or Enterprise Java Beans with Bean Managed Persistence or Contained
Managed Persistence.

One of the biggest advantages is that JDO allow us to concentrate on
developing a correct class model, rather than on developing a relational
class model. Also JDO attempts to abstract the actual data source from the
class model. This allow differents types of data sources to be "plugged
in" to a deploy system.

As I posted before the great advantage of OJB over Hibernate in our
concrete case (Cocoon) is that OJB is another Apache Project. Hibernate is
not an Apache project and his LGPL license is a problem for Cocoon. :(

With OJB you can write the code using one of the 3 API avaliables:

* PersistenceBroker

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

View raw message