cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Woody and round trip of parameters.
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:04:00 GMT
Marc Portier dijo:

> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>> Marc Portier dijo:
>>
>>>I can't see a need for a field that should be 'calculated
>>>automatically' AND be editable at the same time.
>>>(I tried though)
>>
>> It sometimes happens, for example here in my country, in a restaurant
>> invoice is a non written rule to pay 10% of the subtotal to people
>> that serviced you. But if you dont want to pay this you can change the
>> amount or not pay it at all. Then you need to create another invoice
>> with the change.
>>
>> Also diplomatic people does not pay taxes. If you have an automatic
>> formula to calculate the X % tax, when this people show you their ID,
>> you need to put the tax amount to 0.
>>
>> I think is are two examples when a formula can be change by the user.
>>

> I might be missing something, but if you try to model this in
> web-forms you will end up with something different then a field
> that must be updatable AND automatically calculated (upon each
> round-trip)
>
> in both cases you mention I think you will have
> - an editable field (1/ gratuity: a numeric field, percentage
> format initially set at 10% and 2/ isDiplomat: a
> boolean-field/checkbox initially set OFF)
>
> next to but separate from
> - a calculated field that shows the total.
>
> making sense?

Thanks for the response. Every programmer can found a way to use the given
tools to solve a problem. I know this can be solved as you show up. This
is one posibility.

But, I saw that we need another 2 fields that increse the complexity of
the form.

In the concrete restaurant example if you have only 2 cashier that need to
register 300 invoices between 10:00 p.m to 2:00 a.m on Friday and
Saturday. you will see that just "jumping" in another 2 fields make sense.
This is why (by the chashier request, we implemented this). 2 kestrokes *
300 is 600 keystrokes saved at a day => less work!

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo