cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Woody or JXForms? + hibernate or * ?
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:15:07 GMT

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 09:53 PM, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I want to try some of the new spectacular technologies sported in
> Cocoon :)
> I also will play with persistent data. The idea is to create a simple
> database application using postgres as storage of persistent data.
>
> After checking all the docs. For forms: I cannot decide between JXForms
> and Woody? Please I need an advise from the gurus in forms.

I have not tried Woody (Sorry Bruno).

I did however decide quite early on to use JXTemplate rather than
JXForm as I found I was constantly having to work around stuff in
JXForm that did not suit my approach.

JXForm is particularly good at the multi-page wizard-type scenario, if
your needs are different, you may find it too restrictive. This is not
a criticism though!!!

> For the object-database mapping is suggested Hibernate.
>
> I am still trying to find other ways similars to Hibernate since it
> looks
> like Hibernate is not a favorite player because of his LGPL license. :(

Yea, I know, it is a shame, but we do have a workaround now, in terms
of the independant project repository at cocoondev.org, which could
legitimately be used for blocks that contain LGPL code.

> I know there is a jakarta project related to database stuff. DBCP is
> just
> a Database connection pool. but,

I went straight for Hibernate and did not even investigate the Apache
stuff I am afraid. I just took the word of some peers who said,
Hibernate is cool and easy.

regards Jeremy