cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <o...@wlkp.org>
Subject Re: Hibernate vs. OJB
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:02:06 GMT
On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 08:47:46AM -0800, JD Daniels wrote:
> The "persistence layer" was completely new to me as well. (It was Flow that
> got me interested) Hibernate confuse dthe crap out of me. After Antonio's
> wiki :http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=OJBWithJDO
> well, JDO makes *sense* heh heh
>
> What I mean is Antonios wiki I could get running and understand much quicker
> than the Hugo burm's hibernate wiki.
> (I think it is the difference betwen OJB and Hibernate, Not Antonio and hugo
> ;)
That has to look simple as the example is the most simple it can be. But after
a fast glance through both technologies:

1. I have a feeling that Hibernate makes it easier to model more advanced
structures. I did not get the feeling with OJB. Still I have no idea how they
both get to manage really big structures (like a merchandising questionnaire
that would take about 500 database rows)

2. The OJB tutorial (IBM site) states that it is difficut to use it with IDEs
as it enables persistence to classes by modyfying the .class files. Eclipse
would go crazy I think. Second thing is that this approach isn't quite
elegant..

3. Hibernate supports a lot of databases through a specialized interfaces. I
haven't found a pluggable support in OJB (which is important if you use crappy
databases like Pervasive because customer's infrastructure uses it)

regards
	LG