cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Hürlimann (IMSEC)" <simon.huerlim...@imsec.ch>
Subject Re: [RT] Updating our marketing strategy
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:08:46 GMT
Hi all

I just subscribed to this list a few minutes ago, so if I missed something...
:-)

Am Donnerstag, 24. Juli 2003 16.05 schrieb Stefano Mazzocchi:
> On Thursday, Jul 24, 2003, at 15:02 Europe/Rome, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
[snip]
> >> Once cocoon enters a working environment, people wills start
> >> understanding the value of SoC and SoC-enforcing architectures and
> >> will be infected by this meme, resulting in the use of cocoon in more
> >> and more locations.
Happened to me :-)

> >> I've seen this happening several times: cocoon entered by the back
> >> door and made it all the way to the front door and when people
> >> marketed it, they found out they were already using it!
Kind of same in my case. But a little bit worse:
We developed a webbased DBMS. It took quite a long way to evolutionize, from
PHP to PHP/XML to Java to Java/Tomcat... And finaly Cocoon. Well, the switch
to Cocoon wasn't realy an evolution, but after about 2 years of development,
we switched to Cocoon, and after some 3 or 4 weeks we have built the same
functionality from scratch :-)

> The major issue with sneaking things behind enemy lines is ensuring the
> project can survive beyond the person who snuck it in.  Right now, the
> learning curve is just too high, because even though Cocoon encourages
> SoC most people don't know how to deal with that.  Any time you have a
> CTO that forces you to name variables a certain way (micromanagers in
> small companies), they are going to want to know every facet of Cocoon.
I had the big advantage, that I was building something very similar to Cocoon.
But as we had only the manpower of two busy students, there were just good
starts all over the place, but no real result :-(
Well, I learned a lot about Java, XML, XSLT... so it was quite easy to switch
to Cocoon. And damn, *it's heaven on earth*! Everything is about the way I
had in mind when we developed our thing (plus much more).

[snip]
> > I think that having a "Testimonials" section will also help.  Real
> > comments
> > from real users.  How did it save time?  How did it make things easier
> > maintain?  When did it pay off?
Well, it realy did for us!

[snip]
> --