cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@stjude.org>
Subject RE: [RT] Woody and round trip of parameters.
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:37:53 GMT
Marc Portier <mpo@outerthought.org> asks:

> I can't see a need for a field that should be 'calculated
> automatically' AND be editable at the same time.
> (I tried though)
>
> > Thoughts ?

We have a couple of weak use cases for this:

1) Normally a medical protocol phase might take 14 days, however in
unusual cases it might take longer or shorter.  Thus, if someone gives
us a "phase start date" we might want to automatically calculate the
"phase end date" as start + 14 days, but allow the end user to override
the calculated amount if needed.

2) The same thing happens with medication: normally the # of units
prescribed = the # of units taken, however if the patient spits up
something or refuses something then perhaps the # units taken might be
less.

So, yes, I'd say there are probably lots of cases where we would take
advantage of such a capability if it was available, but we probably
wouldn't miss it if wasn't possible...

BTW, at the moment we're using XPath (actually anything that can be
processed by Saxon's evaluate) as the "language" for specifying
calculated fields.  Don't know if that's possible given the direction
you guys are headed or not?