cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@stjude.org>
Subject RE: [RT] Adaptive Caching
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:58:48 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> asks:

> > If you do the Google search you'll notice the references to
> randomized
> > paging algorithms.   I didn't chase these very far other than to
> > determine that at least one author shows that they can
> perform as good
> > as conventional algorithms but not as good as the theoretical best.
>
> I still don't understand why you consider my approach randomized
> because, IMO, using a random function to simulate (inferentially
> updated) probability of behavior is not equivalent to a
> random behavior.

Ahhh, semantics, I agree.  The behavior isn't random, what I was trying
to say: the difference in behaviors is the difference between
deterministic and randomized functions.  Randomized functions are a good
tool for attacking NP hard problems (which paging in general is, and
cache management is just an extension of the paging problem) since they
can often get very close to the best answer without huge computational
loads. I think we more or less agree that at this point the
deterministic functions aren't going to be discovered any time soon?