cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@stjude.org>
Subject RE: [RT] Updating our marketing strategy
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:47:42 GMT
Geoff Howard <cocoon@leverageweb.com> asks:

<snip on Cocoon positioning/>

> Related to positioning ourselves as glue/duct tape:
> Speaking of J2EE, I think we are really missing the boat by
> not offering
> really dead-simple integration with EJB (even though so many here are
> waiting for its carcass).  The fact is that EJB for now is
> the reigning
> king and needs a good front end.  I know Cocoon works well
> with EJB but
> it isn't dead simple for a newbie to see how.
>
> Unfortunately, I am not currently using them and didn't even have a
> container installed at home until recently.  Anyone want to
> work on some
> examples/code with me?

I've been starting to gather a little support for contributing some of
our stuff to the project.  I know I can't do much of anything soon, but
perhaps could do a lot more come this fall.

In particular, I've got some relational DB "Hedge generator" code that
might work well as an example:  if you're familiar with Joe Celko's (SQL
for Smarties) set/subset algorithms for managing hierarchical data in a
relational database it exploits that structure directly to produce XML
hedges with roughly O(N) memory and processing time (in proportion to
the max hedge depth). (An XML Hedge is a collection of XML tree's
sharing a common root.)

The interfaces and abstract classes could be generally useful within
Cocoon for Hedge production (and just need refactoring into the Cocoon
package hierarchy which I could in an hour or so if I get permission
from my Boss).  Working up a concrete implementation against some
database would take a little more work.  If you're ok with just Session
beans (no update, read only) I could maybe get an example together
within a week or two if I get the ok.

Would this be the kind of thing you're interested in?  If so, I'll push
for permission to contribute it...