cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Foster <retso...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Adaptive Caching
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:00:04 GMT
> You'd get the same thing using a non-linear function instead of using
> variable weightings.

<snip/>

If we're thinking non-linear, then how about considering fuzzy
parameters?  This would be an opportunity to include some of Berin's
thoughts on adaptive rules and add in even more math :)

Is it just me, or are we basically trying to solve an optimization
problem?  Under this formulation the goal is to find the optimal set of
cache entries that maximizes the total cost savings where each element
has an associated individual cost savings.  The trick is that the cost
savings of an entry varies and that there is a fixed cache size.

Unfortunately even with constant cost savings this is a variant of the
Knapsack problem, which means it's NP-complete.  Stefano's cache would
then be a packing heuristic :)

Or maybe I'm completely missing something...

Jason Foster