cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [MVC] OJB+Woody+Flow
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:29:09 GMT

On Thursday, Jul 17, 2003, at 15:50 America/Guayaquil, Antonio Gallardo
wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I was ending my simple research of how to start a new web application
> using Cocoon.
>
> I choosed to use the MVC (Model View Controler) approach. My proposal
> is:
>
> Database: PostgreSQL
> Model: Java+OJB - http://db.apache.org/ojb/
> Controler: Flow in Cocoon CVS.
>
> If someone has already experience in this with the proposed products, I
> will be glad if he can share some advises.
>
> I know that Hibernate is the prefered and explored choice for Model,
> but
> the problem with the LPGL looks like a break (I know know why is a
> problem
> since LGPL can be used in a total propietary solution without breaking
> any
> law).

The act of "redistribution" is what triggers the viral nature of the
LGPL. If you just assemble and use it, even mixing GPL code is totally
fine.

For example, it is generally known that many big sites (Amazon, for
example) modify GPL software for their needs, but they don't give back
their changes. Since they don't redistribute the softare, they are not
liable (ethically questionable, yes, but legally safe).

The FSF has been thinking about a GPL 3 exactly to stop this from
happening, but they don't know how to do this without limiting the
usage too much.

Even Tim O'Reilly recently talked about how software licenses don't
really mean anything in a service world.

For us, we cannot redistribute LGPL code because we don't know where a
library starts and stops in java since everything is dynamically
loaded. (one FSF person confirmed this to the ASF, but we are seeking
more 'final' statement over the use of LGPL with java) but if you are
not redistributing combined work, you are safe.

--
Stefano.