cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <>
Subject Re: Hibernate vs. OJB
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:21:54 GMT
Leszek Gawron dijo:
> 1. I have a feeling that Hibernate makes it easier to model more
> advanced structures. I did not get the feeling with OJB.

This is just a feeling. The O/R mapping is here for a while and it allow
to make complex models. I think the both can manage complex models.

The models are very similars.

> Still I have no
> idea how they both get to manage really big structures (like a
> merchandising questionnaire that would take about 500 database rows).

Sorry, here I cannot talk about Hibernate. I think it must allow this
management too. Database tends to grow with time then a solution without
this management is useless. In OJB, there is proxy and cache that to
manage 1,000´s o rows. Read the features of OJB site:

> 2. The OJB tutorial (IBM site) states that it is difficut to use it with
> IDEs as it enables persistence to classes by modyfying the .class files.
> Eclipse would go crazy I think. Second thing is that this approach isn't
> quite elegant..
Eclipse is not going crazy. To be honest I used Eclipse to build the
example posted on wiki.

About elegance, I am not sure. You have to paths. From the tutorial you
refered, you can implement with elegance...

The JDO specification states that a business object that will be
persistent must implement the PersistentCapable interface.

... or choice the non-elegant method that do the work for you....

Fortunately, you don't have to worry about coding the implementation;
tools that come with the JDO implementation that you choose wil take care
of it for you.

> 3. Hibernate supports a lot of databases through a specialized
> interfaces. I haven't found a pluggable support in OJB (which is
> important if you use crappy databases like Pervasive because customer's
> infrastructure uses it.

Sorry, I never used crappy database. ;)
Seriously, I am aware about this problem. And of course in OJB you can
attach any database that conform JDBC fro 1.0 to 3.0
Also if you database implement JDO, why not?

OJB is not only JDO. As I noted before you can use 3 diferents API with
OJB. I choosed JDO, simply because the reason exposed in the other mail.

I am not trying to tell that Hibenate is a waste of time, but the main
reason is:

OJB is an Apache project and has an apache License.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

View raw message