cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Comparing Woody & XMLForm : towards a unified form handling (long)
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:51:01 GMT
On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 08:53, Christopher Oliver wrote:
> Bruno Dumon wrote:

<snip/>
> >>Considering all the pros and cons, I think Woody, which is still in its
> >>infancy, is more promising on the long term and should be promoted, once
> >>featured enough, as the preferred form handling package in Cocoon.
> >>

> >yes! ;-)
> >

> I agree. But there are several features that XMLForm has that I would
> like to add to Woody first, before it can replace XMLForm, namely:
>
> 1) Support for automatic back/next navigation in multi-page forms using
> continuations.

yep. How that will be handled precisely is still an open point, but
there are certainly multiple possibilities.

Marc points me out that what we understand to be "back" is actually
dependent on the flow implementation. In flowscript it may be the
grand-grand-parent continuation, but if the "generalized flow" is taken
into account, that won't necessarily be the case. [do I need to go in
more detail here?]

What would be nice is if the flow-layer could pass a set of named links
to the view layer, i.e. a link called "back", and one called "next", but
what's behind them wouldn't matter.

> 2) The ability to programmatically add validation errors to Woody
> widgets from a Flowscript. This is needed because it may be easier to
> enforce some constraints by writing JS code, and because you may need to
> access a back-end system in order to perform the validation.

again yep. Until now the validation errors were an implementation detail
of the widgets, but we'll need to add a setValidationError (or maybe
addValidationError) method to the Widget interface.