cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <>
Subject protected vs private instance members (in Woody)
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2003 11:00:09 GMT
Hi Carsten,

I saw you changed some instance members in Woody classes from private to
protected. I used to have the habbit of making everything protected by
default, with the reasoning of making classes easier subclassable in the
future. Woody was the first project I tried to do it the other way
around: make everything private by default, and see how quickly that
would bring me into troubles.

I'm now wondering if the changes you did to Woody are simply part of
applying some general design principles or if you came into trouble
because of private members? Or to put it in another way: do you think
instance members should always be made protected by default?

Bruno Dumon