cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinhard_po...@gmx.net>
Subject RE: Flow Database stuff ( The new FOM? )
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:04:26 GMT
From: JD Daniels

> ok, I am confused on what is happening to the Datbase.js
> file. but instead of a request for the long explanation, I
> will settle for a quick yes or no.
>
> I am a java newbie... so bear with me...
>
> From the petstore:
>
>         // temporary hack to avoid requiring datasource
> config in cocoon.xconf
>         java.lang.Class.forName("org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver");
>         var jdbc =
> java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:hsqldb:.",
> "sa", "")
>         var conn = new Database(jdbc);
>         if (this.hsql == null) {
>             // keep hsql in-memory database alive
>             this.hsql =
> java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:hsqldb:.", "sa", "");
>         }
>         return conn;
>     } else {
>         // lookup datasource in cocoon.xconf
>         return Database.getConnection(id);
>     }
>
> Is what has been talked about here on the list mean the "Best
> Practice" way to get a database connection in flow is the way
> that is commented here as a "temporary hack" ie. use
> java.lang.whatever and code as if we were writing the app in
> pure java?

IMO no. I would use Object/Relational mapping tools like OJB
http://db.apache.org/ojb/ or Hibernate (http://hibernate.bluemars.net).

> Is there a wiki somewhere on this type of thing?

http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=XMLFormJXFormHibernateAndFlowscr
ipt
and here you find a component providing a Hibernate session:
http://cvs.werken.com/viewcvs.cgi/plexus-components/hibernate
/src/java/org/apache/plexus/hibernate/DefaultHibernateService.java?cvsro
ot=plexus

> (I have been
> building apps in PHP and PERL for a few years, and its gets
> frustrating KNOWING way better tools are RIGHT HERE in front of me :)

Currently we are finishing the flow itself and try to find a way how to
continue with XMLForms/JXForms in the future. After this we will have
to write *a lot of* documentation. I know, this doesn't help you
right now but of course we can help you here on the cocoon mailing
lists.

;-) hint: We would be very pleased if you could help us writing
some of the docs that guide other users into the right direction if they
have similar problems (espacially as you have a lot of knowledge in
other
languages/framworks and this is of course one of our most important
target
groups)

> Sorry if this is a pain  in the *** question, bu tthe idea of
> flow has me giddy. But I am stuck on the "cannot convert null
> to an object issue"

Where do you get this error? Usually this happens if you change your
scripts and the context is reset and all variables are reset.

Cheers,
Reinhard