cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinhard_po...@gmx.net>
Subject RE: [RT] Generalizing the flow
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2003 07:38:28 GMT

From: Reinhard Pötz
> Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 9:28 AM
> To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
> Subject: RE: [RT] Generalizing the flow
>

> From: Christopher Oliver
> >

> > Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> > <snip>
> >

> > > Names are one of the most important things in design, since
> > it's first
> > > through the names that a user goes into a set of classes.
> Bad names
> > > imply wrong understanding. Abstractions named after a particular
> > > implementation make other implementations look clumsy, since they
> > > don't fit into the name, even if they fit into the real
> underlying
> > > concept.
> >
> > Fine. Would you mind demonstrating at least one alternative
> > implementation of "FlowEngine" and "FlowController"  so that
> > the rest of
> > us can make a technical assessement of how well it "fits" if
> > you intend
> > to make these name changes?
> >
> > Even so, I really don't like your names. <map:call> made
> > perfect sense
> > when calling a continuation or function (since they are actually
> > callable). I don't quite get what "calling" a "state" means.
>

> I would be interested in this too because I'm wondering what
> can you do
> with a plain Java controller what Actions can't do for you? Or do you
> _only_ want to make a shift away from actions?

I think we need some more time to investigate these issues. Is it a
problem
if we decide to change some class names and sitemap elements after we
released a beta?

I'm asking because beta1 should be released in a week and I think it is
too early to decide *NOW* if we should follow Sylvain's/Marc's proposal
or not.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Reinhard