cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinhard_po...@gmx.net>
Subject RE: Alternatives to XMLForm: what's the state of art?
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 17:05:35 GMT

From: Christopher Oliver

> Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>
> >From: Christopher Oliver
> >

> >>JXForms supports the latest W3C XForms syntax (although not every
> >>construct). JXForms doesn't use XMLFormTransformer. Instead
> >>it provides
> >>its own generator (JXFormsGenerator) and transformer
> >>(JXFormsTransformer). It uses the same Form object and validation
> >>framework as XMLForm. However, it does not provide any actions.
> >>

> >Chris, can we deprecate the XMLFormTransformer in favour of the
> >JXFormsTransformer?
> >
> Yes. I think so.
>
> >Does it provide any features that JXFormsTransformer
> >does not support?
> >

> The XMLFormTransformer doesn't. But XMLForm does provide an action
> framework that JXForms does not.

Isn't it possible to use this action framework with the form
implementation
of the JXForms package? I see no reason why this should not work.

> JXForms is intended to be used with
> Flowscript. In addition, Ivelin added some features to the
> xmlform.org
> version of XMLForm that JXForms doesn't have. If anyone wants these
> features it should be easy enough to add to JXForms, though.
>
> >If the answer on the first question is yes, should we release it at
> >all? What would this mean for our users?
> >
> JXForms is not backward compatible with XMLForm. But neither
> is Ivelin's
> latest version of XMLForm. Still, I don't know what the reaction of
> users would be.

So my question is: What *exactly* do we provide within the XMLForms
block in Cocoon 2.1?

I propose:

  - the form implementation (Form.java, FormListener.java, ...)
  - the validation classes (Validator.java, Violation.java, Schema.java,
...)
  - controller A: flow scripts (from the JXForms package)
  - controller B: action framework (from the existing XMLForms block)
  - example 1 (wizard using controller A)
  - example 2 (wizard using controller B but the pages are generated
    using the JXFormsTransformer)
  - documentation (TBD)
  - updates to the latest W3C XForms syntax (if anything is open and
    we have the time to do it ...)

> With regard to a "release", the main thing missing from both
> XMLForm and
> JXForms, in my opinion, is documentation.

You are absulutly right :-(

Cheers,
Reinhard