cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Link view goodness (Re: residuals of MIME type bug ?)
Date Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:57:38 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 28/06/2003 3.59:
> I hope I've convinced you :)  Certainly for simpler needs, hardcoding
> a LinkGathererTransformer is fine, but in general (and I hope where
> Forrest is going) we need the full power of a link view.

Sorry Jeff, but I don't have time nor energy to dwelve into this
discussion further. I'm getting a bit tired about it too.
Don't get me wrong, it's not about you, it's just that sometimes one
loses interest in some things.

So please excuse me if I won't reply to your points and I just only
present MHO.

First of all, all I want is speed and less memory usage. At least the
same speed we are now getting with the new CLI. If any alternative
scheme can be devised to get to comparable speed and possibly memory
usage, I'm *completely* fine with it.
IIUC What came out of the initial "new CLI" dicussion is that a single
pass can be regarded as both technically and conceptually better.

Secondly, it seems to me that you are mixing conceptual decisions with
what are in fact just implementation "details".
Things you have pointed out, like fixed gatherer position for example,
are just fruit of the initial implementation, not a thorough and
important design decision, and thus have still to be improved upon and
testes in the real world (for us it's Forrest).
This is the sole reason why I ask you to read that thread. It explains
the design decisions, and can help you in not necessarily
re-investigating stuff that has already been fruitfully discussed.

Finally, the new CLI is a WIP, so I applaud your effort in getting it
better, so that it does not throw out the baby (link view) with the
water (3 pass generation).
I'm trying to see that in this process also the new features of the CLI
(one pass gathering) are not thrown out themselves in the process of
saving the baby ;-)

Ciao :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -