cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon Nuke
Date Sat, 14 Jun 2003 21:56:05 GMT
on 6/8/03 6:03 AM Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Samedi, 7 juin 2003, à 09:44 Europe/Zurich, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
>

>>....the code samples made my hair draw up on my head : hardcoded HTML
>>in Java code !!
>

> Blessed arth thou, who haveth hair on their head ;-)

ahah

> It shows that users of such apps (simple CMSes) do not care what's
> under the hood.
>

>>...Having this kind of application as a Cocoon sample would be a
>>killer to demonstrate its power. Furthermore, it may foster the
>>development of blocks.
>

> Agreed but I would prefer such an app to be focused on / marketed as a
> "CMS development framework" rather than a "CMS app sample".
>
> PHP-based light CMSes a la PHPNuke have the big advantage of being very
> easy to install at most provider's sites: copy the .PHP files in the
> right places, edit one of them for config, that's it. Java-based apps
> cannot compete with PHP for ease of installation today unless you're
> running your server.

Cocoon blocks will change this. This is actually the ultimate goal of
blocks: provide super-easy assembly and deployment of your webapps but
without sacrificing architectural elegance for ease of use: cocoon will
give both at the same time!

> OTOH a Cocoon-based CMS would be much better in terms of XML-based
> content and expandability/connectivity through java, Avalon, etc.
>
> So I think such a demo app should be clearly targeted as developers,
> either to help them understand Cocoon or to serve as a basis for their
> developments, but not at end-users who usually just want to quickly
> setup a simple CMS and don't care about what's inside.
>
> My 2 <i18n key="favorite-currency"/>.

I'd like to see linotype as the seed for a micro-cms/blogger on top of
cocoon. I'll start with adding it to the CVS and let's see how things go
from there.

But again, enough talking, let's do stuff.

--
Stefano.