cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: Cocoon Nuke
Date Sun, 08 Jun 2003 11:03:00 GMT
Le Samedi, 7 juin 2003, à 09:44 Europe/Zurich, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :

> ....the code samples made my hair draw up on my head : hardcoded HTML
> in Java code !!

Blessed arth thou, who haveth hair on their head ;-)

It shows that users of such apps (simple CMSes) do not care what's
under the hood.

> ...Having this kind of application as a Cocoon sample would be a
> killer to demonstrate its power. Furthermore, it may foster the
> development of blocks.

Agreed but I would prefer such an app to be focused on / marketed as a
"CMS development framework" rather than a "CMS app sample".

PHP-based light CMSes a la PHPNuke have the big advantage of being very
easy to install at most provider's sites: copy the .PHP files in the
right places, edit one of them for config, that's it. Java-based apps
cannot compete with PHP for ease of installation today unless you're
running your server.

OTOH a Cocoon-based CMS would be much better in terms of XML-based
content and expandability/connectivity through java, Avalon, etc.

So I think such a demo app should be clearly targeted as developers,
either to help them understand Cocoon or to serve as a basis for their
developments, but not at end-users who usually just want to quickly
setup a simple CMS and don't care about what's inside.

My 2 <i18n key="favorite-currency"/>.

-Bertrand