cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Geissel, Adrian" <adrian.geis...@ecb.int>
Subject RE: [Flow] Scope and Sessions
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:01:16 GMT
Just a thought:

> > From a technical point of view, are there any other possiblities
> > of implementing the JavaScript global scope.
>
> I assume this is a question. The request is obviously not good at this
> and the servlet context is way too broad. Any other mechanism
> would be a
> data container associated in some way to the state of the webapp
> execution and this is exactly what a session is.

Pier described a very good use-case which applies to pretty much every
real-world web application - that basically it is understood to re-entrant.
>From my experience, storing state in the session has two issues - first is
the 'forked UI syndrome' described, and the second is that resources
associated with the state are held indefinitely, especially if the user
decides not to complete the operation, as is their choice.

My solution in the past has been to manage state / flow in the response (ie.
that sent back to the user), but obviously this is what Flow is trying to
improve.

So, my thought is this - can the flow state be included in the response for
re-submission later. For example, a flow-invoked HTML serializer could
insert hidden input fields to maintain state, or similar?

/Adrian

Any e-mail message from the European Central Bank (ECB) is sent in good faith but shall neither
be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by the ECB except where provided for
in a written agreement.
This e-mail is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. Any unauthorised
disclosure, use or dissemination, either in whole or in part, is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately via e-mail
and delete this e-mail from your system.