cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [vote results] FOM
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:44:26 GMT

On Wednesday, June 18, 2003, at 12:51 AM, Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> On 17/6/03 22:51, "Stefano Mazzocchi" <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>>  - Should the flow _always_ be associated with a Session?
>>
>> I haven't written a flowscript that didn't require, in some way or
>> another, the availability of some statefulness on data and it seems to
>> me as overkill to use full execution state preserving (and the
>> URI-encoding of the continuation every time!) just for the data
>> (besides, even today, if you want to keep global flow variables
>> around,
>> you have to enable sessions anyway)
>>
>> In general, it is true that continuations and sessions are different
>> beasts, but in real life, continuations *extend* sessions since they
>> provide the ability to save *even more* state than sessions.
>>
>> But in those situations where procedular flow is weak and navigation
>> decisions are driven by user action and not by flow execution,
>> continuations are overkill and sessions are still the preferred way
>> to go.
>>
>> is there a real need for continuations without sessions? i really
>> can't
>> provide a meaningful example of this.
>>
>> so, I would say +1 to this.
>>
>> if you are against this, please speak up now.
>
> Pinching in at the last minute, as I'm completely overswamped by work
> at
> this time (writing a template engine, u know, can be hard)...
>
> We've got some _serious_ problems with sessions lately at VNU. The
> problem
> we faced is that in 99.9% of the containers out there sessions, by
> containers, are identified uniquely with a cookie stored on the client
> side.
>
> What does that mean? That no matter how many browser windows you have
> open,
> your client will uniquely be identified by the server as "one".

I am not sure if I am misunderstanding what you are saying here ;)

But I just tested this on a FlowApp I am writing ATM and I can do two
different jobs in two different windows of the same client at the same
time.

I am using the JXForms framework, so I have s Session by default.

The cookie in each window is the same, but not the continuation id.

One thing that is different about my Flow to all the others I have seen
is that it is designed not to have the Model that is being edited as a
global variable of the Script.

My model is only retained internally to a function, and you stay in
that function (or sub-function) until the job is done.

I am using Hibernate for persistence (maybe this makes it easier).

I open a new Hibernate Session at Function invocation, closing it on
exit.

Each function called externally is provided with an identifier to the
object that wants editing.

I don't know if this helps ;)

regards Jeremy