cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: Syncing rhino
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:16:49 GMT
At 09:29 PM 6/24/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Geoff Howard wrote:
>
>>>This is good news. I understand that it's very difficult, but I hope
>>>that it might be easier than you think, and I hope I can somehow help
>>>you in that. Anyway, given that you are the only one showing some
>>>interest, I'm starting to think that I'm just being paranoid...
>>
>>You are not being paranoid.  I have been uneasy about the forked rhino
>>code but  have kept quiet because I'm such a junior member of this
>>community, because I personally did not feel able (time or knowledge
>>wise) to help fix the situation, and because I am so behind on really
>>understanding flow and continuations.  But I think the longer we go on
>>building on this sand the more trouble we will be in when the inevitable
>>happens.  I for one am reading every word you two write.
>
>Thanks for supporting my position. :-) Just to make things clear, I want
>to stress that I have the highest respect for what Christopher has brought
>us so far: it's an impressive work, and it surely paved the way to a
>brighter future in web applications. I also fully understand his lack of
>resources/time to follow ATM the Rhino development

Oh, man I didn't mean to sound down on Chris, the flow, or the code.  I
share your sentiment exactly.  Chris, I'm very sorry if I sounded critical.

Given all the issues Chris and others have mentioned I believe the path
taken was the only way to get "here".  My concern is just that "here" may
prove to be un-maintainable.  It isn't Chris's responsibility to integrate
this back into rhino proper or to take it on as a permanent forked
project.  If a fork is to happen, we need to commit to it as a
community.  I just really hope that doesn't need to happen.

The only reason I said anything was I heard you wondering if anyone else
thought this was important.  I do and I believe many users will feel very
much as you speculate below.  The question isn't of quality or stability of
code at all.

Geoff