cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject RE: Cocoon and upgrading to Fortress
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:54:50 GMT
At 02:31 AM 6/13/2003, you wrote:
>Berin Loritsch wrote_
> >
> > Fortress allows us to do a number of really cool things that are
> > not available in the ECM.  One of them is to no longer require the
> > accursed "Roles" file.  Adding new user components to Cocoon and
> > having the configuration able to use those components directly
> > is just as simple as including the new JAR in the classpath.
> >
> > Startup times can be optimized as much as possible either by using
> > asyncronous component startup or by using request based startup.
> > To top it off, you also have early warning in case there is some
> > circular component dependency.
> >
>Sounds great!

I am not terribly deep on the avalon or ECM stuff now, so excuse my
possibly ignorant questions:

- Does Fortress have to search every class in the classpath to find
"components" that it may have to fire life cycle events for at
startup?
- I thought I heard that the Component interface is now deprecated -
does this mean that it also has to search each of those classes for
any of the interfaces which may make it a de facto Component?
- What is Merlin in comparison to Fortress?  IIRC I have seen proposals
to move to this in the past. (I have the feeling I am stepping into
something on this one - I am truly ignorant).

Geoff