cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Parrot [was Re: How ASF membership works and what it means]
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:38:22 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi escribió:
(...)

> Wow, a VM with native continuations, very interesting.
>
> Question: do you think it would be possible to compile java source code
> into parrot bytecode? how would the limited Perl typing capabilities
> would impact that?

The key piece is the validator. The Java VM uses the class validator for
security "contracts" (stack violations, typing violations, throwing
exceptions, method signatures, etc.). I imagine the parrot people will
use a similar technique on class loading (one of the most powerful
concepts of java). It is well specified in the Java VM specification.

The caveat here is that I think there are patents covering the
techniques themselves (from memory).

> I feel like crosspollinating these days ;-)

I saw recently a blog entry classifying kind of bloggers. I was about to
comment one kind missing: "Butterfly". I feel like a butterfly lately,
crosspollinating as I wander from flower to flower :-)

I need to focus more, I'll do it when I get more answers than questions
inside and I see a clear path forward (hopefully somewhere in the near
future as I'm lagging more and more in day to day tasks...).

--
Santiago Gala
High Sierra Technology, S.L. (http://hisitech.com)