cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: src/targets xml fragments
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:41:14 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:
> To David's question:
> I don't have an ant reference, but I don't think there's
> a way to do that and still do the entity include.  That's
> why the resource Joerg pointed to exists I'd guess.  You
> can't have entities point to the children of the root node
> by some magic I'm not aware of, can you??

AFAIK not.

> At 04:18 AM 6/27/2003, Joerg wrote:
>
>> May I point to http://www.ct42.de/en/ch02.html?
>>
>> Joerg
>

> Why, yes you may!
> - Just curious - why is this not in ant itself?  Is that what
> the "integration in ant" page is about?  If that's a goal,
> perhaps we could help move it in that direction?

There were discussions in the ant community about an importing mechanism and
there will be possibly on in Ant 1.6. AFAIK without any target name
prefixing, i.e. with the disadvantage of having unique names over all
imported files. It's based on or similar to the ProjectHelper
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/helper/ProjectHelper2.java.

> - Does someone (Joerg?) have experience using this?

We have been using it in our company since half a year for a really complex
build system.

And I know the guy who wrote that very well, he works here too ;-)

> - This seems like it would be pretty "invasive" in the sense that
> every target would need to get touched if only to prefix the module
> name to the beginning of the depends targets.

You only need to touch these <antcall target=""/> or <target depends=""/>
that refer to another file. The imported files (at the moment by entities)
must surrounded by an <module name="modulename"/> element.

I can imagine an automatic migration by two stylesheets:
1. Make all included files well-formed.
2. Create a list of all <target name=""/> with their file/module name.
3. Replace all antcalls/dependencies target names with their prefixed version.

> Is that overly
> invasive given that beta is right around the corner?

I guess less than 5 hours?? I would volunteer for it if you want to use that
tool. If the beta is to near maybe after releasing the first beta?

Additionally the ant task <antstructure/>
(http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/antstructure.html) is extended by
the added elements <import/> and <module/>.

What do you think?

Joerg

--

System Development