cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Syncing rhino
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:55:18 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I think that the option of "active and direct" collaboration between
> Cocoon and Rhino would be better for both. It might increase their
> community, create a solid political link (that today is missing), give
> us a meritocratic control on the platform (cocoon is probably going to
> become one of the most important rhino customers).
>
> So, it might be good to start talking to them *before* we even attempt
> to do anything from a code perspective, maybe they have ideas on how to
> solve things easily or maybe even converge to a common point.

Hmmm... don't forget that this is Open Source (oh well, I bet you know
that ;-)) and as NKB loves to say, discussions get forgotten, just code
remains. :-)

I would say then that it would be nice to go to the Rhino community with
suggestions *and* some code. I have been looking at it more thouroughly
and as of now I think that the real problem is not really Rhino missing
continuations, but Rhino being coded not to be extensible: most classes
we need to extend are final, and members we need access to are private.
So far Cristopher and I went quite the "easy" way, changing accesses and
declarations just when needed, but it won't take a huge effort to
refactor the few classes we need in order (adding getter/setters and the
like) to make them really extensible.

Once this is done, the continuation-specific code might happily live in
the Cocoon CVS as a Rhino extension if the Mozilla community is not
willing to accept it (and actually I don't really see a real reason for
them to include it ATM since Cocoon would be the only customer for that)
and we might control it with Gump guarding against back-incompatible
changes.

This will take no more than a few hours of (boring) coding, and I'm
willing undertake the effort if it sounds reasonable to us all, and
produce a first working extensible JavaScript interpreter that might be
committed in Rhino. Meanwhile, we can start approaching the Rhino guys
and see what they think aboout it.

How does it sound?

--
Gianugo Rabellino