cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Syncing rhino
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 21:20:32 GMT
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> Although I think it would be nice to sync with the Rhino cvs, I can tell
> you from personal experience that the Rhino code at cocoondev.org is
> more stable than Cocoon itself at this point.

Please understand that my point is not about stability: I'm positive
about the current Rhino being rock solid. I don't know how many of the
~60 bugs listed on the 1.5R4 page at Mozilla are still in the version
we're using (I assume very few given that ours is a pre-release).

My concern is about evolution:

1. ECMAScript is continuously being updated, and that if we want flow to
stand the evolution we need to be able to follow the Rhino track, or
users will not be able to leverage the new features;

2. Rhino itself is being updated: for us server side developers, I think
that the new security architecture, integrated with the Java security
model, is intriguing to say the least. I also don't know how much having
the deprecated WrapHandler instead than the new WrapFactory is hurting
us, but I would for sure feel more comfortable if we were able to
leverage the latest efforts from the (agreed, small, but this might
always change) Rhino community.

This is why I don't consider only nice to be in sync and integrated, I
much rather consider it quite important. Most probably the real issue is
timeline: do we expect Javascript based flow to be a technology that
last for a few months or several years?

> So I think trying to place the blame on Rhino for not using the flow is
> misguided.

You know, I know, and almost everyone here knows. But this might not be
the case for the Cocoon user who's building a mission critical
application. Competition is tough, out there. :-)

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino