cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Syncing rhino
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:29:17 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

>> This is good news. I understand that it's very difficult, but I hope
>> that it might be easier than you think, and I hope I can somehow help
>> you in that. Anyway, given that you are the only one showing some
>> interest, I'm starting to think that I'm just being paranoid...
>

> You are not being paranoid.  I have been uneasy about the forked rhino
> code but  have kept quiet because I'm such a junior member of this
> community, because I personally did not feel able (time or knowledge
> wise) to help fix the situation, and because I am so behind on really
> understanding flow and continuations.  But I think the longer we go on
> building on this sand the more trouble we will be in when the inevitable
> happens.  I for one am reading every word you two write.

Thanks for supporting my position. :-) Just to make things clear, I want
to stress that I have the highest respect for what Christopher has
brought us so far: it's an impressive work, and it surely paved the way
to a brighter future in web applications. I also fully understand his
lack of resources/time to follow ATM the Rhino development

However, I'm at a crossroads now: I have to decide wether limit myself
to keep an eye on the flow or place a bet and use it for my daily job.
Having such a core functionality rely heavily on an _unreleased_, _old_
and _third party_ software (though quite stable) is refraining me from
using it more seriously. I might even say that, while not blocking the
beta, this might be considered a showstopper for a final release of the
flow.

What I'm trying to do, here and now, is help wherever I can: I lack the
skills and knowledge to approach right now such hard core stuff, so I'm
willing to do whatever I can to ease other's efforts. Succeeding in
having the continuations code in the Rhino tree will be a major success
and overhaul for the Cocoon flow. Even greater would be having a
community ownership on the flow as a whole, including the javascript
core stuff.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino