cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Syncing rhino
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:21:36 GMT
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> Your experience is the same as mine. The Rhino core needs to be
> refactored to be extensible in order to allow multiple interpreters such
> as the one that supports continuations.

Ouch. :-/ Do you envision other needs for extended interpreters? I doubt
that the Rhino guys will extend that stuff just for us.

> I have seen the BEA XML scripting code and they simply hacked their
> stuff right into the Rhino core (not even as a separate package), so I
> doubt that it will ever be integrated into the Mozilla cvs either.

I understand actually that ECMAScript has been updated already, so
eventually they'll have to find a way to integrate those functionalities
(it doesn't have to be BEA's implementation though).

> I'm willing to help, but to make this happen we really need to work
> closely with the Rhino developers and redesign the core interfaces to
> allow pluggability.

OK, I see just two ways of dealing with this problem:

1. ask the rhino dev team and see if there is room for them to integrate
the continuations code: IIRC you had some talk with them and they seemed
willing to consider it after all (would you be so kind to summarize the
discussion so far?). If this is the case, ask for the needed changes and
re-sync the stuff. This is of course the best option;

2. it #1 fails, refactor the rhino core once again, sync the
continuation code and keep a set of patches together with some GUMP or
GUMP-like stuff that helps us keeping them in sync with the rhino
development;

In any case, I don't see as an option forgetting about this issue
altogether: flow is becoming the next big thing in webapps, which means
that we'll have to support it in a serious way. Now figure what might
happen if some serious bug happens in our version, or if the next rhino
version is 3x faster than ours: we'll have to upgrade in a rush, hoping
that it's still possible somehow. And yes, I'm a bit scared. :-)

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino