cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Oliver <res1c...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [SourceResolver] getLastModified() for cocoon:// sources always returns 0
Date Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:32:11 GMT
You're right. But it's a bad idea to use the cocoon:// protocol as the
source for JXTemplateGenerator (as it would be also for TraxTransformer,
for example). In effect you are generating a new "program" for every
request, that must be recompiled for every request, which is clearly
_very_ inefficient. Perhaps caching could fix this in some cases, but it
seems like a bad practice in the first place.

In Linotype I saw some other strange uses of the cocoon:// protocol that
appear to be very bad for performance:
There's a pipeline that uses the directory generator to read a
directory, and transforms it using xslt into a cinclude template.
Another pipeline uses this as a source for its generator using the
cocoon:// protocol. This would seem to defeat any possibility of
compiling the cinclude template (or am I missing something?)

Regards,

Chris