cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [Flow] Preparing the vote - long!
Date Sun, 22 Jun 2003 06:56:22 GMT
On 22/06/2003 6:01 Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Both actions and input/output modules were created to overcome sitemap
> programmability limitations. Flow doesn't have those limitations anymore
> so i don't see the reason to keep those artifacts here.
>
> What do others think about this?

I think the current community and mindshare behind flow is still too
small to already start deprecating 'old-fashioned hacks' which were and
still are being (ab)used a lot for the same reasons flow will be
(ab)used for. Also, the continuations thing appears to be only one
possible way to address the webapp dev paradigm. I don't think you are
suggesting an active depreciation, but suggestions like the one above
seem rather tendencious and suggestive IMHO.

OK, it is only a small quote lifted out of context, but it is a good
illustration of my worry that flow, being a very interesting approach,
still is _only_just_one_ approach to attack the given problem domain. As
much as I'm genuinely interested in continuation-based flow, I think
flow needs some more real-world usage (like Pier's case) before we
consider it being part of the core features of Cocoon (on the same level
of 'streamlined XML processing' and 'the sitemap'). I read the above
statement as a suggestion into that direction.

If I say 'core', I mean the kind of stuff which you _have_ to use if you
want to use Cocoon, not the 'blocks vs core' discussion, or 'it has an
impact on the sitemap grammar'. I'm pretty sure that you don't want to
see flow added to Cocoon with people openly saying 'ok', but silently
thinking 'whatever, I'm going to stick to my way anyhow'.

Oh. Do please read this as a neutral observation, will you? I'm not into
flames. If I'm wrong with my observation, just say so and I'll withdraw
to my cave. ;-)

Cheers,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org