cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [BUG]: Endless recursion in source resolving
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:41:18 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> volker.schmitt@basf-it-services.com wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> additional comment about the performance.

>> It seams that we need to write our own handwritten parser for the URI
>> stuff. What do you think?
>>

> Any specialized parser would be faster than generic parser such as
> regexp. And, regexp library is not optimized for matching long strings
> (together with some regexp constructs) due to its recursive design. See
> regexp bugzilla for more details.
>
> Thus, I would prefer not to use regexp in tight spots, but use something
> simpler & faster.
>
> Vadim
> (disclaimer: I've got no idea how regexp got into sourceresolving in the
> first place)

Me neither, but before adding code or fixing problems, PLEASE add a test
case that fails first, then make it work.  That way we can avoid
regressions.  Bruno squashed a bug (yea!), but I didn't see a test case
to show how it was failing.  It would be really beneficial so that we
can ensure the problem does not crop up again after refactoring source
resolving in the future.