cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: Cocoon Nuke
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2003 21:11:53 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Samedi, 7 juin 2003, à 09:44 Europe/Zurich, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
>> ....the code samples made my hair draw up on my head : hardcoded HTML
>> in Java code !!
> Blessed arth thou, who haveth hair on their head ;-)

ROFL ;-)

> It shows that users of such apps (simple CMSes) do not care what's
> under the hood.

Sure, but module writers care about what's under the hood. And hardcoded
HTML means hard-to-write modules, and therefore no fancy features !

>> ...Having this kind of application as a Cocoon sample would be a
>> killer to demonstrate its power. Furthermore, it may foster the
>> development of blocks.
> Agreed but I would prefer such an app to be focused on / marketed as a
> "CMS development framework" rather than a "CMS app sample".
> PHP-based light CMSes a la PHPNuke have the big advantage of being
> very easy to install at most provider's sites: copy the .PHP files in
> the right places, edit one of them for config, that's it. Java-based
> apps cannot compete with PHP for ease of installation today unless
> you're running your server.
> OTOH a Cocoon-based CMS would be much better in terms of XML-based
> content and expandability/connectivity through java, Avalon, etc.
> So I think such a demo app should be clearly targeted as developers,
> either to help them understand Cocoon or to serve as a basis for their
> developments, but not at end-users who usually just want to quickly
> setup a simple CMS and don't care about what's inside.

Mmmh... you're IMO both right and wrong. Right, because Java hosting is
microscopic compared to PHP hosting. But wrong since Cocoon is used
(from my personal experience) on many intranets, and having such
features builtin (as samples you can reuse) can certainly help Cocoon to
have a wider usage range, instead of installing a PHP Nuke on the httpd
that proxies Cocoon...

> My 2 <i18n key="favorite-currency"/>.

I guess it's swiss francs ;-)