cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Forms Forms Everywhere
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2003 15:41:57 GMT
On 6/06/2003 14:01 Mark Miller wrote:

> I used XMLforms for my last one and was reasonably happy. But what about
> Woody? or Precept? or JXForms?
>
> Help Need advice. Are these new (Woody, JXForms) worth the extra
> headache of alpha software?
> Do not want to start a war.

Just a quick note on Woody before heading off for the weekend:

Woody came into existence upon my persistent nagging of Bruno to come up
with something less programmatic as XMLForms (take this as a neutral
note and largely IMHO), also with regards to the messy Transformer code
at that time. Woody does forms, and nothing more than that ATM. We hope
it does a good job at that, and will be adding widgets when the need arises:

We are currently implementing Woody for a customer of ours, which has a
huge EJB backend app to which we are going to talk through XML/HTTP,
according more or less the same integration principles existing in
xReporter (ReST style): back-end is a Phoenix-based query server and
front-end is Cocoon. No sessions, no fancy presentation tier state
management, all explicit bookmarkable URIs and all good stuff Roy
Fielding noted down & Paul Prescod advocated.

The binding framework for that customer project will map between the
Woody form instance model and XML, and it is noted in our contract that
we can contribute any part of that framework back to Cocoon (as noted on
our website, we give price reductions for customers willing to adopt
this scheme). It will be upon our own judgement whether parts are
sufficiently generic enough to do so.

Woody is largely orthogonal to the flow approach, and given sufficient
time, energy, fun and funding, we might be contributing glue between
both, and work on other binding frameworks (think: databases).

Woody is also our lunchtime sandwich caterer, but that's largely
off-topic, I guess. The guy doesn't even know his shop name is used in
org.apache... package names. ;-D

Hope this helps,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org