cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: TidySerializer
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 20:29:14 GMT
AC> 1) As a fix for the "the namespace problem"
AC> 2) When human-readable HTML output is needed
AC> 3) To validate the output to a dtd

Hmm, all 3 reasons are not strong enough for adding a further serializer
with almost the same functionality IMHO.

1: A solution for the HTMLSerializer was discussed
(startPrefixMapping(), endPrefixMapping()). Maybe TidySerializer
provides a better solution, but I guess this can be adapted too.

2: Human readability is as you say for debugging reasons. This needs not
to be done on live systems. We use IMO a better way: on the last
transformer step we add a label="format". We access a page in debugging
mode via test.html?cocoon-view=format. The view "format" is simply a
further transformer step using format.xsl and the XMLSerializer. The
different between live and debugging mode is the URL, not the sitemap.
And there is no need for second component.

3: Also only for debugging, isn't it? Validating every request on live
systems is too much resource consuming. And what do you want to do on
live systems when a validation error occurs? A message "We can't deliver
the page, because it's not valid HTML"? But you have other
possibilities, e.g. using http://validator.w3.org/ or a mix of Jakarta
commons httpclient with Tidy as we did. If you integrate this in a test
system you can validate your pages automatically.

Joerg