cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Caching in cocoon, especially CIncludeTransformer
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 08:30:52 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>I don't know if this should be an independent component, or one that
>>extends the SourceResolver.
>>

>Ah ok, by independent component I meant a component that extends
>perhaps the SourceResolver component from Avalon, but can still be
>looked up using a component manager. So that it is available in
>every component. This is in contrast to extending the Cocoon
>environment.SourceResolver interface that is only available in
>sitemap components.

Ah ok, I understand. Since Excalibur's SourceResolver than can be looked
up everywhere, I think we should strongly discourage the use of Cocoon's
legacy environment.SourceResolver, and consequently avoid enhancing it.

Having a new CocoonResolver extending Excalibur's SourceResolver seems
good to me.

But should this extended resolver be looked up with SourceResolver.ROLE,
or with a new CocoonResolver.ROLE ?

<random-thought>
This makes me think of a feature that would be good to have : component
aliasing.

Components that are not XML-related or that have no dependency on Cocoon
will lookup SourceResolver.ROLE, while Cocoon components that want to
use XML features will lookup CocoonResolver.ROLE.

Now, we will provide a single implementation for CocoonResolver and
hence (because of inheritance) SourceResolver. If two different roles
are used for the lookup, this normally means two different instances
(provided ths implementation iis ThreadSafe)

Now what if we were able to specify in cocoon.xconf that
SourceResolver.ROLE is just an alias for CocoonResolver.ROLE ? We would
have a single instance for two different roles.

The same could be used e.g. for InputOutputModules : we could have a
single e.g. SessionAttributeIOModule implementing both InputModule and
OutputModule, and have the 'session-attr' input-module configuration be
an alias for the 'session-attr' output-module.
</random-thought>

Sylvain (now awaken, stimulated by these wild thoughts ;-)