cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Unresolved bugs with patches
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 19:09:56 GMT
On 2/06/2003 20:46 Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

> Here is a list of the 31 unresolved bugs for which patches have been
> created. Only one bug is "owned" by a person. The others are owned by the
> developers list.

I fail to see how ownership by a person would help in applying patches
more consistently. Having a 'sponsoring committer' might help to get
patches applied. Then again, I think you are looking at the symptom, not
the cause. <imho>The fact no sponsoring committers exist for certain
patches might tell more about the patch than the willingness of the
committers. I wouldn't like to see patches being committed just for
cleaning out that list, but because they solve a genuine problem or add
something original to the codebase. Above all, code needs a shepherding
community, and we have already seen what happens if some parts of the
(elaborate) Cocoon codebase are less well tended due to being
one-man-shows.</imho>

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org