cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: How ASF membership works and what it means
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:55:52 GMT

..cut..

But if also take into account what Robert Buurrell Donkin just wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> one interesting consequence of a general move within jakarta towards
> extensive unit testing is that the time required to commit patches has
> significantly increased. my experience now is that creating good unit
> tests takes more than the time it takes to write the code. i'm also now
> more aware that good documentation is crucial and spend more time creating
> documentation. this increases the time required to review and approve

Then perhaps my observation means absolutely nothing - and I should really
try to get my mind around a fundamentally different development model (and
some aspect you call WORA).

> > ->	the java world seems to need amazing number of indians (or
> > 	committers) relative to lines of codes or bugs fixed. And seems
> > 	to see more isolated pockets of people than the xml and other
> > 	parts of the ASF.
>
> I don't get what you mean here, can you elaborate more?

Actually - an extension of your Agora should propably be better at
showing and modeling it; I was basically looking at commit-scope of people
in a single code bases across projects. And had the impression that we see
smaller scope activity, by more people relative to total project activity;
and more often by people who only work on that part - but do not
'participate' in the larger architecture and structure.

But the latter part is not really proper statistics. Let me try to back
that up when I have some time.

Dw