cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: How ASF membership works and what it means
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:42:37 GMT

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Steven Noels wrote:

> Stefano's insightful post got me carried away to run some stats on
> members & projects: http://blogs.cocoondev.org/stevenn/archives/001008.html

I've always stopped short of doing just this; and more kept things limited
to a pie diagram and postings/#of commits.

This as it mostly shows 'today' rather than the members body which grew
over time and is effectively lagging. I.e. you are looking at data which
tells you more about history than about the future. And that todays future
is tomorrows history.

> Please comment if you care, but keep the thread on community (or
> cocoon-dev). I'd love to hear your opinion.

My main interpretation is

->	We are tremendously dynamic in terms of ratio's and
	relative numbers; things turn upside down regulary.

->	xml and java are 75% of the activity; the 'old school'
	has dropped below 20% now (Ignoring PHP here).

->	Despite the enourmous influx of java and xml the ASF
	as a whole is growing significantly slower than the internet.

->	Documentation is growing even slower; even including
	translations.

->	Organisationally xml and java are still lagging behind;
	but have been catching up (though the catch up has slowed down
	somewhat due to a much larger influx from the old school
	side; and that influx is by average younger than the proposed
	influx from xml and java (in terms of lines of code and/or years
	of activity on *MORE* than one project).

->	Java (and to a lesser extend xml) is _actively_ under
	represented and produces less orgaisational/infrastructure/legal
	people than one would expect given the current relative number of
	existing java/xml folks in organisational positions. That may
	be a cultural thing.

->	In the java, and to some extend the xml world, we have much, much
	much more code which was only touched 1-4 times by <= 2 people
	over time.

->	the java world seems to need amazing number of indians (or
	committers) relative to lines of codes or bugs fixed. And seems
	to see more isolated pockets of people than the xml and other
	parts of the ASF.

Just for thoughd (and the above was taken from a 2002 count; it may be off
now).

Dw