cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinhard_po...@gmx.net>
Subject RE: More on FOM
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:29:27 GMT
Hi Ricardo,

> From: Ricardo Rocha [mailto:ricardo@apache.org]
> Hi friends,
>
> The following items reflect the discussions Stefano and I have had
> around the FOM:
>
> - The load(uri) global function should be supported. This is clearly
> needed for nested source file inclusion (which <map:script> does not
> support).

+1

> - The cocoon.releaseComponent(component) method should be
> supported in
> conjunction with cocoon.getComponent(id). Further discussion
> is needed
> about whether the FOM implementation should automatically
> take care of
> releasing components.

I'm with you that this part will need more investigation and use cases.
But for now I'm fine without some automatism. So +1 too.

> - There should be unrestricted access to all components via
> cocoon.getComponent(id).

I'll implement getComponent( id ) and releaseComponent( component) ASAP
because the current flow implementation exposes the component manager
and this leads to a serious bug! If you have more than one user the
component manager can become null. This can be very annoying if you want
to train some people ...

> Among other goodies, this will give indirect
> access to Actions and Modules without providing explicit FOM
> support for
> them. Access to request input modules, in particular, should
> account for
> request.getURI().

AFAIK many of them need the object model and this is not provided by the
flow so I think you have no chance to use the actions and input modules
which need objects of the object model. Am I right here?

> - Access to continuation objects should be provided.
> 	var kont = sendPageAndWait(uri, data)
> This is deemed necessary as certain continuation usage
> patterns may call
> for explicit, programmatic invalidation of continuations.
> 	- Properties
> 		- id
> 	- Methods
> 		- getParent()
> 		- getChildren()
> 		- invalidate()
> 	- Events
> 		- onExpiration()
>

> What do you guys think?

sounds good. It should also be possible to create your own continuations
objects without sending a page. See the JXForms implementation which
needs this to provide previous/next-navigation.

I'll add all those things to the proposal ASAP.

Reinhard