cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Regarding Excalibur XMLUtil and Store
Date Wed, 14 May 2003 15:23:04 GMT
on 5/13/03 9:18 PM Peter Royal wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 08:46  PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>And phoenix deprecated the notion of blocks (and Peter Donald doesn't
>>like them).
>

> Only the Block marker interface. A Phoenix application is still made up
> of "blocks"

I stand corrected. You are right.

At the same time, while the technical-side challenges look difficult but
manageable, the human-side challenges do not. Getting Peter (Donald) and
Stephen work together is impossible: they don't respect one another, but
both play a role in the shaping of the containers they care about and I
don't want to be *yet another one* with his own pet-peeve container
fighting on avalon-land to impose his vision.

I just plain simply don't give a damn.

I just want to deploy my work on cocoon easily :,-( why should I have to
fight against architectural visions and political shit for that!?!?

Less is more, worse is better, start small and grow incrementally,
follow community development, reach consensus after seeding with RTs,
work darwinistically.... these are all concepts that don't seem to be
work in Avalon (and, yes, it's partially my fault!) but do work here.

Cocoon is a much better environment to raise your children.

>>Result: screw them. A container is a not rocket science and we need
>>freedom of choice more than anything else at early design stage.
>>
>>if it makes sense to extend Fortress, I will. If not, I won't and I'll
>>start from scratch.
>>
>>And if any of you disagree and you want to beat me at the
>>implementation
>>of cocoon blocks, you are my guest: the more angles we attack the
>>problem, the better.
>

> rock on. if only i had the time...

It's a damn do-ocracy at the end: who does, influences. I'm going to do
and influence. incrementallly, leaving room for others to innovate,
patch, change, rewrite, recode, throw away... did I mention I just want
to drop my linotype on a running cocoon remotely without having to send
a 10Mb WAR file?

>>I changed my mind: let the components remain there and let's work on
>>getting the release out of the door so that I can work on blocks and
>>free cocoon (and all of us!) from the chains of the servlet container
>>:-)
>>
>>Deal?
>

> whoop! deal :)

Great.

Ricardo and I spent 6 hours on the whiteboard solidifying the FOM last
night, expect an RT on that soon so that we can move on.

--
Stefano.