cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Regarding Excalibur XMLUtil and Store
Date Mon, 12 May 2003 23:30:47 GMT
on 5/11/03 5:16 PM Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> here is my -1 to move XMLUtil or Store or any other common component
> back to Cocoon.
> I think Jeff and Nicola Ken have already given some good arguments
> against the move.
>
> I really think the answer is plain simple: common components do belong
> to a project (or subproject) or Avalon. And nowhere else.
>
> I'm really wondering what's the purpose of moving things is? A long time
> ago many in Cocoon and Avalon gave their +1 for moving common components
> to Avalon. Now some of them want to move them back. Strange. There was
> no -1 at that time.

I voted +1 at that time and I would vote -1 now. Reason? because I think
 components belong to the community that cares about them. Avalon simply
doesn't and the component author is not, by herself, a community.

> And everytime you mention Avalon the first question you get is: "What
> components are already available?" - So a common repository for
> components which is somehow part of Avalon is very important. Noone
> wants to first download Avalon and then some parts of Cocoon and some
> parts of Struts or James or whatever to get common components. This
> absolutely doesn't make sense for me.
>
> And yes, many users are using xmlutil and store outside of cocoon.
>
> I think, we should really avoid rediscussing such things and keep
> our focus on the important issues. We have a long todo list and
> again renaming and moving things is really not helpfull here.
>
> And it's not a matter of who has write access to a repository and
> which emails are send.

I thought it was obvious that community around code is an important
thing for an open source project. I guess it's still not that obvious.

I aknowledge the two -1 but I will continue to think that any part that
cocoon is based on which is not backed up by a community is a potential
harm in the long run.

And no, ignoring the issue won't make it go away.

--
Stefano.