cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Should we catch java.lang.Error? (was RE: XMLForm and sitemap problem (fwd))
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 01:10:25 GMT
on 5/8/03 3:18 PM Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>on 5/8/03 7:30 AM Bruno Dumon wrote:
>>

>>>A method is not required to declare in its throws clause any subclasses
>>>of Error that might be thrown during the execution of the method but not
>>>caught, since these errors are abnormal conditions that should never
>>>occur."
>>

>>Yes, but cocoon is a framework, so it's the pipeline components that
>>should not try to catch it, but the framework *must* be informed about
>>it so that framework administrators can do something about it
>>(presenting a 500 for an OutOfMemory could be very bad marketing for us)
>>

> Out of curiosity, with some issues like the OutOfMemoryError, what
> practically can be done?

present the user with meaningful information. This is just another error
from the error-handling point of view.

but I agree with people's concerns about loops so I think that logging +
triggering a 500 might be a good balance.

> I mean we have to create some pipeline
> objects to send a response to the user, and it is obvious that garbage
> collection has not done its job... possibly due to a memory leak
> in the developer's application (not necessarily Cocoon).

I experienced several times random OutOfMemoryExceptions that IMO are
due to the GC not doing its job correctly, but I can't prove it.

--
Stefano.