cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] Stefano's Linotype
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 21:48:00 GMT
on 5/6/03 3:08 AM Ias wrote:

> At last, I'm running my Linotype on
> Cocoon-2.1-M2-dev
> Tomcat 4.1.24-LE
> JDK 1.4.1_02
> Windows XP Pro SP1
> at
> http://168.126.185.211/linotype/ .

well, I'm almost ready to release Linotype 1.1 expect it in a few days.
Changes include:

 1) complete semantic wrapping for Midas: you are not allowed to modify
style, but only markup structure and classes. Things like
justify/center/left/right are *WRONG* and should remain so! You should
only indicate the "class" of that block, and it's the CSS designer's
concern to know if this should be centered, justified and what not.

 2) in-place image addition, fully integrated with multipart/form
upload. So you simply include an image from your disk and it
automatically uploaded to the server.

NO MORE COPYING THE IMAGE ON THE SERVER AND CUT/PASTE THE URL! THOSE
DAYS ARE OVER!

 3) semantic-aware DOM serializer. This creates a source pane which is
easier to read and to modify.

things I'm working on right now:

 4) versioning: you can resort previous modification of the document.

 5) client-side image resize: after adding an image, you should be able
to modify its width/height without having to resize the image with an
external image-modification tool.

> (Sorry not to create patches due to the fact that Linotype is not based on
> CVS.)

there is a linotype CVS module on cvs.betaversion.org, but it's not
available for public access.

> I hope this wonderful application would be developed and discussed more
> broadly. Thank Stefano again.

You are welcome, but I would kindly suggest you to drop redistributing
it with the same name. I'm more than welcome to incorporate your patches
 into the original distribution, but if everybody starts distributing
his/her own version of linotype, we never converge.

> P.S. Can we have a module for Linotype on some CVS repository? It could help
> Linotype to evolve.

I'm all in favor of donating Linotype to the Cocoon PMC for incubation.

Comments?

--
Stefano.