cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <>
Subject Re: [RT] FOM
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 19:25:14 GMT
On Tue, 27 May 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> This is, IMO, what the FOM requires. Nothing less, nothing more. But let
> me explain why I consider flow-driven URI handling harmful.
> Today, once you mount your web application, you don't know where it
> resides. In order to keep your webapp relocatable on your URI space,
> either you keep everything relative (including the many horrible
> ../../../ which is easy to get wrong) or you re-invert the control by
> finding out yourself where you have been mounted and tweak URI accordingly.
> I strongly dislike both approaches because they are error prone.
> IMO, it should be cocoon to transparently adapt the URI right before
> serializing the output to the client.
> How?
> Using a link-translating protocol.

Hmm.. the only occasion where we had the need for the URI handling was for
generating PDF reports with FOP which includes some graphics (ie. logos). I know
this isn't a Cocoons fault but as long as FOP needs absolute path for embeded
graphics there is the need for URI handling. I don't know if you had in mind to
have the link-translating protocol handle absolute paths to the file system.

View raw message